Summer packs in one last hurrah with Art House’s JC Fridays city-wide event on Friday, Sept. 9. Restaurants, galleries, stores, and event spaces throughout Jersey City will showcase a variety of art-related happenings, including visual exhibitions, live music, performance acts, educational demonstrations, and more.
All events are admission-free and open to the public.
As one of the preeminent art scenes in the tri-state area, Jersey City abounds with artists of all types, musicians, and individuals with unique talent, and JC Fridays is one of the best times for them to share their newest projects and works.
Held quarterly, thousands of residents pour out to experience the latest works from these creative personalities and to revel in the joy that art brings to the community.
For a breakdown of all the events by neighborhood, visit www.jcfridays.com.
• ART—A group of artists gathers at Project Greenville for “The Roommates Show,” featuring an eclectic collection of paintings, drawings and photographs all set to the music of singer, songwriter and poet Frank Tedesso. For more information, visit projectgreenville.webs.com.
• DANCE—Maximum Motion Fitness on Grove Street will be taking JC Fridays revelers to their Zen cores with Transcendance—a beautiful combination of dance, yoga, pilates, music and meditation that uses the body as a vehicle to travel beyond the mind into the realm of bliss.
• MUSIC—The last Groove on Grove of the year will feature performances by Segunda Quimbamba, Shayfer James, Ladell McLin, Delexio and Fancy Colors, accompanied by treats and libations from Park and 6th, Lucinda’s Crepes, The Taco Truck, Two Pitas in a Pod, La Bella Torte and Barcade.
• EDUCATION—Soar Nation at 143 Christopher Columbus will be mixing it up with educational tours on how the community can get involved in volunteering efforts, participation in performances, or learning where and how to sell handcrafted goods at their marketplace.
• ART—Art House Productions will be showcasing local photographer Sandra Swieder’s exhibition “From Across the River,” an emotional retelling of Sept. 11, 2001, from the New Jersey perspective. A ten-minute play commemorating the tenth anniversary of the event, “Murphy’s Law,” will take place during the evening as well.
• GALLERY LAUNCH—New gallery WOOLPUNKSTUDIOS, on Newark Avenue, will be opening their doors for the first time. The venue is a modern day twist on Bauhaus philosophy and hrough exhibitions examines how form and function influence each other.
Business special offers during JC Fridays
• The Academy of Massage Therapy, at 75 Montgomery St., 2nd floor, is offering one-hour massages for $25 all weekend-long when the special code “JC Fridays” is mentioned at booking.
• The Bar Majestic, located at 275 Grove St., invites JC Fridays revelers for complimentary sangria and hors d’oeuvres during their art opening reception.
• Hudson County Art Supply, 303 First St., will be honoring a 10 percent discount on Purchases.
• Maximum Motion Fitness, 340 Grove St., will be offering half-off a first class or personal training session.
Sponsors for the event include The Jersey City Reporter, Jersey City Magazine, Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy, the Jersey City Municipal Council and the Division of Cultural Affairs, the PATH system, Provident Bank, Jersey City Department of Housing, Economic Development, and Commerce, Jersey City Economic Development Corporation (paid for in part by the State of New Jersey Urban Enterprise Zone Program), and Historic Downtown SID.
About JC Fridays
JC Fridays was created in 2005 by a coalition of artists, arts organizations and local businesses that wanted to showcase Jersey City’s exciting and burgeoning cultural landscape. Today Art House Productions, with vital support provided by JC Fridays’ major sponsors, present this eagerly anticipated quarterly event, taking place at the start of every season, where both residents and visitors can celebrate the growing vibrancy and distinct charm that Jersey City has to offer.
Since its inception, the number of participants has tripled through increasing outreach to Jersey City’s neighborhoods, organizations, businesses and artists.
JC Fridays is a quarterly event, held at the start of every season: March, June, September and December.
The next JC Fridays will be held on Friday, Dec. 2.
JC Fridays is made possible by the State of New Jersey Urban Enterprise Zone Program and a host of other sponsors and patrons.